Each year CFO Act government agencies report thousands more cyber security incidents than the year before, and the White House has made cybersecurity a top government-wide priority. Data breaches can not only severely cripple the ability of Federal agencies to achieve their objectives, but can also have a chilling effect on Federal professional and administrative careers.
In the public sector, high-visibility data breaches have generated headlines, and executive heads have rolled. We see estimates of cybercrime and economic espionage costing the world economy between $250 billion and $1 trillion a year.
According to IBM and Ponemon Institute’s 2015 Cost of Data Breach Study: Global Analysis:
- The average total cost of a data breach for the 350 companies participating in this research increased from $3.52 million to $3.79 million.
- The average cost paid for each lost or stolen record containing sensitive and confidential information increased from $145 in 2014 to $154 in this year’s study.
- All 350 companies participating in the study experienced a data breach. These ranged from a low of approximately 2,200 to slightly more than 101,000 compromised records.
Cyber Security Is Becoming Increasingly Complex
In the past, organizations could secure their data by implementing strong firewalls, segmenting networks, locking down desktops and putting in place secure remote access to keep out attackers.
To secure data today, however, enterprises in the public, private and not-for-profit sectors need to:
- Protect their data from insider and advanced persistent threats (APTs), frequently from the credentials with the most significant access--privileged users such as Root and SysAdmin.
- Achieve enterprise level data protection, regardless of data type and environment (e.g. data center, tactical edge, and cloud).
- Maintain granular access to data at rest as well as data in the field.
- Ensure that increased security does not have a negative impact on operations (e.g. ease of use and system performance).
- Comply with Federal mandates and global standards. Federal mandates include those for encryption of data at rest, FISMA, support of FIPS (up to level 3), and Common Criteria and evolving concepts around cyber security such as the NIST 800-53 standard. Global standards include HIPAA-HITECH and PCI DSS.
- Reduce costs, most often by unifying data security under a single platform (centralized/decentralized control) and allowing data to be secured to converged storage (reducing SAN devices) into a multi-tenancy environment.
- Put data security systems in place (or upgrade them) in days rather than months.
The Vormetric Approach to Cyber Security
Vormetric Data Security solutions help enterprises in the public, private and not-for-profit sectors comply with all these requirements wherever they store and use data through:
- Securing unstructured data such as Office files, Sharepoint repositories, Exchange, Virtual desktop instances in an encrypted container
- Policy Driven access to data for employees and contractors while eliminating access by Root and SysAdmin roles
- Delivering Critical transactional and behavioral information that feeds into enterprise event management systems such as; Splunk, Arcsight, Nitro, LogRythm, and
- Tokenization and masking
Vormetric Data Security solutions:
- Provide rapid deployment to gain concise mission alignment
- Meet or exceed Federal and global requirements relative to cryptographic standards
- Deploy a strategic, data centric approach for the enterprise
- Have little, if any, negative impact on ease of use or system performance
How Vormetric Solutions Work
The Vormetric Data Security Platform is the only solution with a single extensible framework for protecting data-at-rest under the diverse requirements of public, private and not for profit enterprises across the broadest range of OS platforms, databases, cloud environments and big data implementations. The result is low total cost of ownership, as well as simple, efficient deployment and operation.
- Vormetric Transparent Encryption provides file and volume level data-at-rest encryption, secure key management and access controls required by regulation and compliance regimes.
- Vormetric Data Security Intelligence provides another level of protection from malicious insiders, privileged users, APTs and other attacks that compromise data by delivering the access pattern information that can identify an incident in progress.
- Vormetric Application Encryption enables organizations to easily build encryption capabilities into internal applications at the field and column level.
- Vormetric Key Management enables centralized management of encryption keys for other environments and devices including KMIP compatible hardware, Oracle and SQL Server TDE master keys and digital certificates.
- Vormetric Tokenization with Dynamic Masking lets administrators establish policies to return an entire field tokenized or dynamically mask parts of a field. With the solution’s format-preserving tokenization capabilities, enterprises can restrict access to sensitive assets, yet at the same time, format the protected data in a way that enables many users to do their jobs.
Vormetric security solutions are designed to help you comply with:
Be Protected in Weeks not Months Whatever Your OS
Vormetric works with public, private and not for profit enterprises to install its Data Security solutions in weeks rather than months. The Vormetric solutions work with most major operating systems, including Linux, UNIX and Windows servers in physical, virtual, cloud and big data environments.
Easy to Use and Won’t Hurt System Performance
Vormetric Data Security makes it simple to solve security and compliance concerns by simultaneously defending data in databases, files and Big Data nodes across public, private, hybrid clouds and traditional infrastructures. Central management of the entire data security platform makes it easy to extend data security protection and satisfy compliance requirements across the entire Agency, growing as required, without adding new hardware or increasing operational burdens.
Customers typically report no perceptible impact to end-user experience when using Vormetric solutions. Vormetric performs encryption and decryption operations at the optimal location of the files system or volume manager taking advantage of hardware cryptographic acceleration, such as Intel® Advanced Encryption Standard-New Instructions (Intel® AES-NI) and SPARC Niagara Crypto, to speed the encryption and decryption of data.
Collectively, this leads to the most cost-effective solution on the market. For more information, contact us.